Veteran's Tax Credit Information

Applications must be received by April 15th.

Standard Veteran Credit RSA 72:28 (A $300 credit from real estate tax bill)

Honorable discharge from service
Must have served a minimum of 90 consecutive days of active duty (see dates below)
Applicant must own property on April 1st of year of application
Must be NH resident for 1 year prior to April 1st of the application year
Property must be the principle place of abode
Notify Assessing Office of any change of address
Applicant must apply with a copy of DD214 or equivalent (Don't have your DD214? Complete the Request Pertaining to Military Records to send away for a copy.)
Must have a valid photo ID

If property is owned by a TRUST, you must provide a copy of the trust to allow us verification of eligibility

Dates of service for Standard Credit RSA 72:28:
Must be in armed service a minimum of 90 consecutive days of active duty during the following dates:
April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 (extended to April 1, 1920 for service in Russia)
December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946 (including U.S. Merchant Marines)
June 25, 1950 and January 31, 1955
July 1, 1958 and December 22, 1961 if earned Vietnam service medal or expeditionary medal
December 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975
Any other war or armed conflict that has occurred since May 8, 1975, if earned armed forces expeditionary medal or theater of operations service medal

August 2, 1990 and the date thereafter prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law

Disabled Veterans or Widow of Disabled Veteran (RSA 72:35)

Any person who has been honorably discharged from the military service and who has a total and permanent service-connected disability, or the surviving spouse of such a person shall receive a yearly tax credit of $1,400 for the property taxes on his residential property.

Requirements are:
Disability must be total and permanent service-connected injury (regardless of dates served)
Property must be principle place of abode
Owner of the property on April 1st of application year

Apply with copy of letter from Veterans Administration certifying 100% total and permanent disability

Surviving Spouse (72:29-a)

The surviving spouse of any person who was killed or died while on active duty in the armed forces of the United States or any of the armed forces of any of the governments associated with the United States in the wars, conflicts or armed conflicts, or combat zones set forth in RSA 72:28, shall receive a tax credit in the amount of $1,400 for the taxes due upon the surviving spouse's real and personal property, whether residential or not, in the same municipality where the surviving spouse is a resident.

Requirements are:
Property must be principle place of abode

Owner of the property on April 1st of application year

The term "surviving spouse" as used in RSA 72 shall not include a surviving spouse that has remarried, but if the surviving spouse is later divorces, his or her status as the surviving spouse of a veteran is regained. If the surviving spouse remarries and the new husband or wife dies, he or she shall be deemed the widow/widower of the latest spouse and shall not revert to the status of a surviving spouse of a veteran.

Notice:  If you are receiving a Veterans Credit in any other Town, City or State, you are not eligible to receive the Veterans Credit in Franklin.