Elderly Exemption

Applications must be filed by April 15th.


  • The applicant must be 65 years of age on or before April 1st in the year they are applying for the exemption.
  • The applicant must have been a New Hampshire resident for three years prior to April 1 and the property must be your primary residence.
  • The applicant must have owned the residence by April 1 individually or jointly, or if the residence is owned by a spouse, they must have been married for at least five years.
  • If the applicant received a transfer of real estate from a person under the age of 65, related to him by blood or marriage, within the preceding 5 years, no exemption shall be allowed. RSA 72:40-a, Limitations.
  • The applicant must have a net income of less than $35,800. If married, a combined net income of less than $44,700.
    • Net income is to be determined by deducting from all monies received from any source whatsoever, the amount of any of the following, or the sum thereof:
      • Life insurance paid on the death of an insured.
      • Expenses and costs incurred with conducting a business enterprise.
      • Proceeds from the sale of assets.
  • The applicant can not have assets in excess of $74,300, excluding the value of the dwelling for which they are applying for the exemption on. Any units of a multi-family home not occupied by the exemption recipient are considered to be an asset.
  • The applicant, meeting the above statute requirements, will receive the following exemptions:
    • $76,600 Valuation Reduction (65-74 Years of Age)
    • $116,100 Valuation Reduction (75-79 Years of Age)
    • $267,000 Valuation Reduction (80 or More Years of Age)

If your income or asset level changes and you no longer qualify for the exemption, you are obligated by law to advise the Assessing Department.  Income and Exemption amounts changed effective February 6, 2023.

To apply, complete the Elderly Property Qualification Worksheet AND the Permanent Application For Property Tax Credits/Exemption (PA-29).

If your property is held in a trust, you must also complete the Statement of Qualification (PA-33) form and you must supply a copy of the trust instrument.  

Bring completed applications and supporting documents to the Assessing Department.