Duties & Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the Franklin Planning and Zoning office are to:
- Provide information to residents, property owners, and developers so they better understand the City’s land use ordinances and regulations;
- Provide support for all parties as they file applications for zoning or planning board actions;
- Advise property owners and contractors on the building permit process.
- Provide administrative support to the land use boards;
- Review and revise the zoning ordinances, as needed, to conform to state statutes, and to reflect the goals and objectives of the Planning Board, the City Council, and the public;
- Prepare Master Plans and other planning documents to help define and support the long term goals of the City;
- Provide support to all city departments on land use issues, planning and development projects, capital projects, and other improvements put forward to further the interests and goals of the City; and,
- Enforce and manage the land use ordinance and regulations so that the interests of property owners and neighborhoods are protected.
We welcome the opportunity to talk with you about any land use issue or any proposed project so that we can assist you and help insure that you have all the information you need to insure that the purposes of the land use ordinances are satisfied and that the interests of all property owners are properly protected.